ASCOT HOUSE (RAZED 1981)

104 W. 39TH STREET
1912 LAURENCE HALL FOWLER

The Ascot House, originally the Shiff House, was the first residence designed by Laurence Hall Fowler, one of Baltimore's outstanding and most prolific architects of the early twentieth century. Fowler was a master of synthesizing diverse architectural styles. His designs range from the stark purity of Classical architecture, as in the War Memorial, to the electric asymmetrical massing of the Ascot House. The house further depicts Fowler's knowledge of contemporary English domestic architecture, embellished here, with Georgian and Jacobethan details. After a prolonged court battle, the Ascot House was demolished in 1981 for a parking lot.

ORDINANCE 0331 06/10/77